Tuesday 13 August 2013

Cheap DIY Beauty Products

 
Hey Guys,

I have recently been trying out some amazing DIY recipes for beauty products and I thought I would share my top 3!
 
The beauty about making your own products is that you know exactly what you are putting into them and there are no harsh chemicals. I love making my own products, it gives me strange feeling of satisfaction to know I have used products I've had laying around the house.

 
 

1) My favourite has to be making your own sugar scrub! I recently run out of my Soap & Glory Scrub 'Em And Leave 'Em and I haven't had chance to go out and buy a replacement yet. Exfoliating is very important to me as it clears away all dead skin cells, clears clogged pores and leaves your skin feeling silky smooth!
All you need to make your own sugar scrub is sugar and oil. You can use salt if you prefer but sugar is my preferred choice as it is a lot kinder on the skin, salt tends to tear the skin. For the oil, you can use any oil you have in the house.. baby oil, vegetable, olive, coconut, sunflower and the list goes on. My favourite is baby oil.
To make the scrub, you need 2 tablespoons of sugar to 1 tablespoon of oil - I made a whole container full, but as long as you stick to the 2 sugar to 1 oil ratio you will end up with a lovely sugar scrub. You can even make your scrub smell nice by adding a couple of drops of essential oil.

2) Another important product to me is face masks. I like to use a face mask at least once a week and for the past couple of weeks I have been experimenting making my own. The following recipe is so simple yet it leaves your skin feeling absolutely amazing!
To make this amazing mask you need 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of plain yoghurt. (It is really important that you do not use flavoured yoghurt). Separate the eggs so that you have whites and yolks .. we only need to use the whites for this face mask. Add the 2 tablespoons of plain yoghurt to the whites and mix using a fork - I like to use a fork as I feel it mixes better. Apply the mixture to the face and leave for at least 10 minutes. When you are ready to wash it off use warm water and a wash cloth. Your skin will be left feeling fresh & regenerated.
 
3) My final DIY beauty product is a DIY hair mask recipe. As it is summer I have been treating my hair once a week to a hair mask. I have noticed such a difference in the condition of my hair and hair masks have now become a staple product for me. When I came across this recipe on the internet I thought why not give it a go. It really is very simple! To make this mask, mix 4 tablespoons of coconut oil with 4 tablespoons of avocado oil. For shorter hair, I would only use 2 tablespoons of each oil. Once you have mixed the oils together apply all over your hair and leave for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, rinse it off and you will be left with shiny smooth perfect locks! After using this DIY mask for 2 weeks I am very impressed! It is just as good as the shop bought products so its definitely worth giving a go. You can buy both of the oils from Ebay.. coconut oil from HERE for £2.95 for 500mls and avocado oil from HERE for £2.49 for 100mls - Ebay is such a great place! Both these oils can also be used for many other things. 
 
Why not treat yourself to a DIY Spa Day at home! Use these recipes, pick up a magazine, listen to some music, put some scented candles on and chill out. What a perfect way to treat you hair & skin this summer and have some important ME time that so many of us forget to have!
 
Let me know if you have any other great recipes!
 
Laura
Xx
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this post and I am going to try all of these and let you know what I think. I especially can't wait to use the scrub. That is so ridiculously simple...I wonder if peanut oil would work..that's what I keep at the house haha.

    Jamie

    http://jamiesessions11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Peanut oil sounds amazing! Give it a try and let me know :-)
      I love making the scrub!
      It really is so so simple and is amazing :-)

      Laura
      Xx

      Delete